I’ve been seeing articles all over the place about how connected we are to our electronics and the Internet. And it’s funny because I’ve wanted to write about this for several months now. Okay, so the Internet can be educational, resourceful and fun. But, I know I have a serious habit for the Internet.
Everyday I inject myself with hours and hours of facebook, yahoo messenger and sparkpeople.com. I become warped into watching videos from the 90’s on youtube and my boyfriend and I have date nights watching movies on Netflix. I lose myself (and time) window shopping on favorite websites and obsessing over the wish lists that I update on those sites. I’ve gotten to the point where I’d rather IM or text someone instead of talking to them on the phone. And what happened to the days of face-to-face interaction. Does the webcam count? Does an e-mail really suffice for when I want to catch up? Does a wink or a poke take the place for a real hug or smile?
I’d like to disconnect from being too electronically connected. The umbilical cord that leads from my body to my HP needs to be broker (luckily, I don’t have (AND WON’T HAVE) one of those smart phone things). Instead of always sending e-mails to the girls, I will occasionally send them greeting cards or a handwritten letter to say “I’m thinking of you.” Sure sending an email may be cheaper, but an actual letter, in my writing, with a stamp, that someone can receive in the mail… it’s more personable and it means a lot more.
My plan to disconnect is to set time limits for when I can do the things I enjoy online. That will enable me to be more productive and do other things I enjoy outside of the Internet. Three to four hours a day seems reasonable to me. That means I have to use my online time wisely and prioritize. And as far as my phone goes, I’m a heavy texter. And during meal periods and face to face conversations, I will disengage from the cell phone.
Now, don’t get me wrong. I love the World Wide Web and all that it offers to us. And I know all of these changes aren’t for everyone. But I do challenge you to take a step back from it all. Revert to the days writing love letters and listening to the radio. Set up lunch dates and conference meetings and three way phone calls.
So, that’s it.
Talk to you next week
stacI





No comments:
Post a Comment