Sunday, August 29, 2010

ordinary leaves familiar

So, several months ago (maybe even last year), I read a book called The Dream Giver. It was a very inspirational story about a nobody named Ordinary. Ordinary had a BIG DREAM the he wanted to pursue. In order for Ordinary to accomplish the BIG DREAM, he had to leave the land of familiar. Now, if I remember correctly, Ordinary experienced many obstacles before he was actually able to leave the land of familiar. Ordinary shared his dream with his bff, who laughed in his face. Ordinary’s family members were reluctant and tried to deter his plans. Ordinary even experienced internal battles, where he fought with himself and talked himself in and out of actually leaving familiar. In the end, Ordinary pulled strength from within and he left the land of familiar to peruse that dream.
Enough of the book report, the previous paragraph was the preface to the post... Now, in this post I'm talking about a real life ordinary who is taking a BIG step and leaving familiar. A VIP to me is leaving her hometown, her family (her favorite cousin (me), her friends, her job, her everything she’s FAMILIAR with and moving away, to pursue something bigger. Some people may not be impressed with this, but I am. I think it is admirable that she’s able to pack up her car and leave with the {nursing} scrubs on her back. I couldn’t do it, so I applauded her.

Anyway, after she made the announcement of her departure, and plans to move into another time zone, she experienced apprehension from people she loves, just like Ordinary. She’s not letting it stop her; she’s courageous and confident enough to trust herself to go after what she believes is “there” for her.

I think she hit a point where she felt unfulfilled. Things in her life were floating along and although she remained a blessing to others, she wasn’t moving forward… wasn’t advancing internally. That feeling of un-fulfillment is something else. It can literally tear you up on the inside and cause you to spit yourself out... feeling stagnant in the heart and mind is not good. So, we discussed the idea of her relocating to “go after” her life. We decided that she was leaving. As for me, I’ve balanced the happy and sad feelings within myself. I knew this was coming, I just wasn’t prepared for it to happen so soon, but I’m glad, very very glad.


A note to my VIP:  I say farewell to you, one of my favorite people; this is a temporary farewell, I’ll see you in November but everyday in my heart. Find space in your overcrowded car for your yoga mat and a bottle of wine. I believe in what you’re doing and I completely support you. I love you and many blessings to you and your dream.

So, let's all use my VIP as motivation. Let's reach deep within and look at our dreams, wishes and aspirations. Let us not be afraid to leave familiar...

I'll talk to you all later
blow me a kiss sometime
stacI

I love you sooo much. I'm going to miss you

No comments:

Post a Comment