Friday, July 2, 2010

missed opportunity

Years ago I was at a dinner party with co-workers. I was sitting at a table, when the server approached me with at beautiful custom-made dessert. It looked just like something from Bon Appetit Magazine. Anyway, she gave it to me and said, “Compliments of the chef ma’am.” That was the sweetest most original way a man has ever approached me. I let the opportunity slip by without smiling at him and saying thank you. I left the room in the middle of a crowd, so I wouldn’t be seen. Good job stacI, all because I was nervous.

I wonder where that chef is now…

My confidence is a lot stronger than it was years ago (I'm more happy and understanding with me.) Although some opportunities may still be missed, I try my hardest to embrace things that come my way. I don’t hide in shame when someone compliments me or performs a gesture of kindness. And I don’t let a cute pair of shoes walk by me without saying, “I love those shoes.” Same thing goes with professing my love and affection. Who knows when someone important, to me, will be taken from the earth? Each time I have the OPPORTUNITY, I’ll say I love you or you’re special to me. Like I said, I can't catch em all, but my net is constantly open and around me.

Take the opportunity to smile at a stranger or call a distant relative or eat the custom made dessert (and say thank you) or give a gift or say I love you or say I LOVE ME or sit on a front porch or smell the air or kiss your granny's soft cheek or help someone or listen to your mama repeat herself... they may never become present again.

In the meantime and in between time
Be good.
stacI

1 comment: